How to Hang Art Prints Without Frames – Learn the best way to display your favorite prints without having to spend money on a frame.
Checkout this video:
Decorating your home with art prints is a creative and affordable way to add personality to your space. But if you’re not keen on the idea of hanging framed artwork, there are plenty of other options for displaying your prints. Here are a few ideas for how to hang art prints without frames:
1. Hang them with washi tape.
2. Use binder clips or clothespins.
3. Display them in a temporary frame made of cardstock or poster board.
4. Create a magnet board display.
5. Frame them using repurposed materials like old windows, doors, or shutters.
6. Hang them unframed on a wire or string system.
7. Use command strips or Velcro dots.
8. Tape them directly to the wall using washi tape, painter’s tape, or clear packing tape.
9. Encase them in acrylic boxes or plexiglass frames.
What You’ll Need
1. Choose the art print you want to hang without a frame.
2. Cover the back of the art print with toothpaste.
3. Place the art print face down on a piece of plastic wrap.
4. Wrap the plastic wrap around the art print, making sure that the toothpaste is completely covered.
5. Tape the plastic wrap in place.
6. Cut off any excess plastic wrap with scissors.
7. Hang your art print on a wall using double-sided tape or push pins.
Step 1: Choose Your Prints
Choose the art prints you want to frame-free. If you’re unsure whether a print will look good without a frame, try this quick and easy test: group several prints together (without frames) and see if they look harmonious. You can also ask a friend or family member for their opinion. Once you’ve chosen your prints, it’s time to move on to step 2.
Step 2: Prep Your Walls
Assuming your walls are in good condition and dust-free, you’ll want to start by lightly sanding them. This will help the command strips adhere better. Wipe away any dust with a damp cloth and let the area dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
Step 3: Measure & Mark
Mark the top center of your print with a pencil. This will be the starting point for your hanging. Using a level, draw a pencil line horizontally across the wall at the height you want your print to hang. Measure down from this line and make another mark at the desired width of your frame-free print.
Step 4: Hang Your Prints
Now that your prints are matted and backed, you’re ready to hang them! But before you start hammering nails into your walls, there are a few things you need to know.
First, decide how you want to arrange your prints. Will they be hung in a grid? Staggered? In a cluster? Once you have an arrangement in mind, measure the distance between each print (or cluster of prints) and mark those spots on the wall with painter’s tape.
Next, grab a level and make sure each mark is level with the others. Once you’re confident that your marks are level, it’s time to start hanging! We recommend using 3M Command Picture Hanging Strips for this – they’re easy to use and won’t damage your walls. Just follow the instructions on the package.
Finally, step back and enjoy your handiwork! We hope this guide was helpful – happy hanging!
Step 5: Step Back & Admire
Now that you’ve hung your art prints without frames, step back and admire your handy work! If you’re not quite satisfied, make minor adjustments until you get the look you want. And there you have it – a unique way to display your artwork that is both stylish and budget-friendly.
While there are many ways to hang art without frames, some of the most popular include using washi tape, string, or simply leaning the print against a wall. Whichever method you choose, remember to consider the weight and fragility of your print and take care not to damage it. With a little bit of creativity, you can display your favorite prints without spending a fortune on frames!